Learn How to Make your "V" sound like a "U". Questions? Contact me - Michael Joly, Founder - OktavaMod.Michael Joly modified MXL v87
With MJE-K47 capsule and more-open single layer grille
Hear the OktavaMod'd MXL v87 vs a '70's Neumann U 87
Listen to vocal and acoustic guitar tracks from Max Cohen. What do you hear?
Guitarist / Singer Max Cohen
SOUND FILE: Neumann U87, Vox
SOUND FILE: MXL v87, Vox
SOUND FILE: MXL v87, Larrivee Acoustic Guitar
SOUND FILE: Neumann U87, Larrivee Acoustic Guitar
And that's how a "V" can sound like a "U". This is Michael Joly writing, the founder of OktavaMod. Read on or click "contact me" and send me your questions. Here's how the MJE-K47 Modification Suite will make your v87 sound like a U87 –
Introducing the MJE-K47 Capsule
- New MJE-K47 capsule for classic "Neumann-esque" timbre balance with warm proximity effect and freedom from sibilance, excessive brightness or edginess
- Single layer headbasket for greater openness, transparency and detail
- Capsule platform diffuser to eliminate vertical standing wave coloration
- Evidence Audio LYRIC HG solid core wiring for improved harmonic time alignment and more solid bass response
- Upgraded input coupling capacitor for reduced distortion, better detail and improved frequency response
- Upgraded, non-electrolytic signal path capacitors for lower distortion, better detail and improved frequency response
The right capsule for flat frequency response circuit mics
The MJE-K47 (Michael Joly Editions K47-style) capsule is the result of my painstaking search to find a capsule manufacturer to produce a K47-style capsule that would meet my performance, quality control and price specifications.
Each MJE-K47 capsule is individually tested in an anechoic chamber. Your modified mic will be returned with a signed Certificate of Authenticity from me - plus your individual capsule's actual anechoic chamber response. Which by the way tracks an actual K47 capsule response within +/- 1.5 dB up to 10kHz. Then my specially tuned 3 micron diaphragm extends HF response out to 16kHz. Vintage sound with a touch of modern "air".
Want to hear classic "Neumann-esque" timbre balance? Then just click "Add to Cart" to purchase the OktavaMod MJE-K47 Modification Suite for your mic MXL v87.
Remember, the price for this boutique transformation of your mic includes the installation of my new MJE-K47 capsule and the entire suite of upgrades listed above. You'll get an immediate confirmation email of your order. By the close of the next business day you'll receive a personal email with your scheduled modification and return ship dates.
Why not click "Add to Cart"? Put the correct capsule - the MJE-K47 - ahead of that flat frequency response circuit in your mic.
Questions? Just click "Contact Me" - And remember, your purchase is risk-free. best, Michael